"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Shame

Look at this!  I'm doing a Wednesday's Word post, and it's actually Wednesday.

I've been thinking about quite a few choice words this week, but the one on the tip of my tongue today is "shame."  The word "shame" refers to a painful emotion caused by a strong sense of guilt, embarrassment, unworthiness, or disgrace.  The root of the word is thought to derive from an older word meaning "to cover." Think Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, scrambling to cover themselves with fig leaves.

But the funny thing about "shame" is that we usually use the word when the recipients are not feeling shamed at all (and we think they should be).  Only the shameless deserve a "shame on you"!  

Here in Arizona, I often see picketers near my office building with large banners proclaiming:  "SHAME ON [FILL IN NAME OF COMPANY]"  (As an aside, I see that there was just a ruling last month that this sort of picketing is legal.)  When I first started seeing these years ago, I had to chuckle, especially because as far as I can tell, the people doing the shaming are employed specifically for that purpose (rather than because they themselves have a labor dispute or something).

Can't you just imagine?  "What do you do for a living, Bob?"  "Well, I shame people, how about you?"

And wouldn't it be something if you could hire these people to do some personal shaming for you?  Not that I would really do it, but I have to admit I like the idea of the "shame on" people camping out on a driveway to make the shaming point.  You could shame your spouse (or your friend's spouse), your children, and even yourself (you know, for failing to exercise, for dining on Kit Kats, for losing your temper with your children, etc., etc.).  "SHAME ON JESSICA!!!"

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails