"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Sobs, Sniffles, and Smiles

The Gift of the Magi
Each Christmas, I select and give a book to each of my children.  It's my little way of emphasizing the importance of reading.  I always tell them that the love of words and books has shaped my life in powerful ways.  When I'm gone, I hope that is one of the memories they will have of me.  This year, I gave one of my daughters an illustrated copy of The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry (a much loved story).  Some of the words are above the average reading level for children (or even adults of this day and age -- e.g., "the silent imputation of parsimony"), but my girls enjoy the story and illustrations very much.

Here's a line from the story that has stuck in my mind:  "[L]ife is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating."  I wonder, is that true?  I suppose O'Henry means that our circumstances usually aren't on either end of the spectrum (either all sobs or all smiles), but rather somewhere in the middle (sniffles).  I'd prefer to think that sniffles are not the middle ground status quo, but some stretches of life do feel that way.  

A couple of days after Christmas, my oldest daughter asked me to take her to get her hair cut.  I thought, "well, good," because I have been suggesting it for months and months.  Turns out, she was inspired by Della in the story, who had her long lovely locks sheared off in exchange for $20, which she used to buy a gift for her dear husband, Jim (and you know the rest of the story).  I thought the moral of the story my girls would take away was that gifts of love and pure sacrifice are the wisest of all.  But it turns out that my daughter was just hoping she could get some payment in return for the hair cut off her own head . . .       

StumbleUpon.com

4 comments:

  1. How much did she have cut off? Did she get some pay? Or just the joy of donating it maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had about 5 inches cut off. Not nearly enough for a wig!! She wasn't willing to go really short, and I just laughed at the question as to payment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that story! I enjoy reading your posts. Thanks! I'd like to think that life is not mostly sniffles too. Sometimes I have to think about all of the smiles to get me out of the sobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Allison! I feel the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails