"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Overwhelm

This word is a fitting choice for reasons that largely speak for themselves.  Today has been a particularly choice day.  And it's not even close to over.  Miles to go before I sleep.  Miles to go before I sleep.

Overwhelm






The word "overwhelm" is formed from over- and -whelm.  I've always wondered if the "over" part isn't a tad bit of overkill, because "whelm" on its own means "to submerge; engulf; to overcome utterly; to roll or surge over something."  Why is the OVER even necessary?  How can you be more engulfed than plain old engulfed?  Maybe it's a matter of degree.  Overwhelmed perhaps suggests a deeper burial and engulfment.

"Overwhelm" is defined to mean "overpower in mind or feeling; to cover or bury beneath a mass of something [my favorite definition]; to burden excessively."  Do you have "mass"?  I've got mass.

You can be overwhelmed, and -- thanks to the evolution of language -- you can also be underwhelmed.  Isn't that a curious word -- underwhelmed?  It's of course used to mean "I'm not impressed, not overcome [indeed I'm a bit undercome] by what you just said."  Perhaps it suggests "your mass is lacking.  You've sprinkled me with matter, but I don't feel at all buried."

Don't you just love words?  Oh, I do.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails