Today is the anniversary of both Shakespeare's birth, and his death. As my 7-year-old daughter commented, "that must have been a bad birthday." Today is also my 16-year wedding anniversary. As a lover of Shakespeare (and my husband), I like April 23.
So for today's post, I thought I'd share a sonnet. How to improve on Shakespeare? Have Rufus Wainwright sing the words and show scenes from Pride and Prejudice.
And here's the text:
SONNET 29
When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.
My favorite line? "With what I most enjoy contented least." Doesn't that capture the sickness of our day? "Content" means "satisfied with things as they are." How much better off we all would be if we all were.

No comments:
Post a Comment