"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Monday, April 19, 2010

Of Mermaids, Mandrake Roots and Stars

Go and catch a falling star,
Get with child a mandrake root,
Tell me where all past years are,
Or who cleft the devil's foot,
Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
Or to keep off envy's stinging,
And find
What wind
Serves to advance an honest mind. 
~From John Donne's "Song" written in 1633


Some days are like that.  Full of impossibility.  Falling stars will not be caught.  Children, with a mandrake root, will not be got.  (How's that for passive voice?)  The rest of the poem is dripping with sarcasm, and reading it again as an adult, I find Donne much more irritating than I did as a teenager when I first read this poem.  Here's the rest of it.  Really?  I always imagined the women of the 17th century to be full of decorum and virtue.  Makes me wonder what kind of company John Donne kept.  

If thou be'st born to strange sights,
Things invisible to see,
Ride ten thousand days and nights,
Till age snow white hairs on thee,
Thou, when thou return'st, wilt tell me,
All strange wonders that befell thee,
And swear,
No where
Lives a woman true and fair. 

If thou find'st one, let me know,
Such a pilgrimage were sweet;
Yet do not, I would not go,
Though at next door we might meet,
Though she were true, when you met her,
And last, till you write your letter,
Yet she
Will be
False, ere I come, to two, or three.

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

  1. Oh, mandrake roots are real? I always thought JK Rowling invented the term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. All sorts of supposed mystical powers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In researching mandrake root, I learned that it grows in parts of the Mediterranean and the island of Corsica. I'm actually going to be in Corsica (of all places) in about a month (family cruise vacation). I think I'll try to find some mandrake root. Although I sure don't need any more children at the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails