I don't know about you, but on an enjoyment scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being not enjoyable at all, and 10 being extremely enjoyable), fighting with my head-strong elementary school child over homework and test preparation is about a NEGATIVE 10. My deep-seeded fear (truth be told) is that she will crash and burn without my incessant nagging encouragement. If I were a braver woman, I would pull the plug, stand back and observe. Great balls of fire.
Here are two applications that give my nagging a break. Perhaps they will lighten your nagging itinerary too.
I actually have my daughter create the test herself, because (a) it helps her learn the words, (b) she likes to say the words in silly voices and make up crazy sentences, and (c) it's one less thing for me to do. The app even has a whiteboard feature so your child can practice writing each word (instead of just typing in the answers).
MathBoard. As you can guess, this application helps your child study for math tests. You can choose addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. You can even choose which numbers must be used (for example, if my child is being tested on minus 9 math facts, I make 9 a required number). This app has been a life saver for me, as my child appears to respond better to critcism from a computer than she does to criticism from me.
Upside? Your child has a better chance of acing her spelling and math tests without you ripping out your hair in the studying process. Downside? Good luck getting your iPad back (now that your child can say she needs it for EDUCATIONAL purposes).
Along these lines, I've been thinking about the topic of teaching your children to be competitive (or not, and how), but that's for another post.



On competition: See Jane Win, if you haven't read it. Fantastic discussion on it in there.
ReplyDeleteJust ordered it. That book's been on my list, and it's a topic on my mind. Looking forward to reading it.
ReplyDelete