"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Stupor

I've always been taught that if you're trying to make a tough decision and you find yourself in a "stupor of thought," it's probably not the right choice.  We're still trying to decide whether to buy a new house, and so I'm thinking about the word "stupor" today.  When I was young, I always thought the word sounded kind of like "stupid."  Turns out, it kind of does mean that.

Stupor
Stupor means a state of suspended or deadened sensibility.  It is a state of mental "torpor" or "apathy."  It is "stupefaction."  (Now, that's a word.)  Breaking it down, stup- means senseless, and the -or part means to be.  Put it together, and it is "to be senseless."  

One of the definitions of stupid is in fact "in a state of stupor; stupefied."  Broken down, "stupid" is stup- (senseless) + -id (full of).  So, somewhat paradoxically, "stupid" means full of emptiness.  I kind of like that.  

Torpor (love that word too) means a state of suspended physical powers.  It means sluggish inactivity or inertia.  It is dormancy, as in a hibernating animal.  Broken down, torpor means to be stiff or numb.  

Apathy is an absence of emotion, a lack of interest or concern; indifference.

The problem, however, is that I often experience stupefaction and torpor when it comes to making decisions, regardless of what I ultimately (should or do) choose.  I struggled to get myself out of bed this morning, but that might just mean I'm tired and lazy.  Stupefaction.  Facing a difficult choice makes me wish I could escape into hibernation, but that might just mean I have analysis paralysis.  Torpor.  The one word that doesn't fit me (really ever) is "apathy."  I'm pretty much never indifferent or lacking in emotion.  But that might just mean I'm opinionated.  

None of this means I can make a decision, of course.  Stupefy!          

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails