"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Friday, August 6, 2010

Choose Your Own Adventure

When I was a kid, I went through a stage during which I read every Choose Your Own Adventure Book I could get my hands on.  The first books in the series were published starting in 1979 when I was 7 years old, and they were perfect for my little inquiring mind.

Of course I cheated and would retrace back to the page with the decision point when I didn't like the outcome.  Sometimes I would make really bad choices on purpose just to see what would happen.  It was a book, and I could do that.   And pretty much anything could happen.  You could choose to visit friends in France where you might rent a hot air balloon and hop in.  Then you could choose what direction to fly, and when you met with trouble, you could choose to engage in peaceful negotiations or attack, swim for the shore or wait for rescue.  Depending on where your choices led, you might even end up drifting away into space, where the lack of oxygen leads to your demise.

Anyway, I've always been interested in choice and consequences.  In possibilities and change.  In hope and regret.

Along those lines, here are a handful of photographs of some of the beautiful doors I chanced upon while traveling in the Mediterranean this summer.  I like to think about what might be on the other side of each.

Tunis, Tunisia
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Cinque Terre, Italy

Tunis, Tunisia
Malta

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. Jessica:

    Do you ever read Becky Higgins' (the scrapbooker) blog? www.beckyhiggins.com? She just came back from a trip to Europe and made a great photocollage of all the doors from her time. You could do something similar with these pictures. It would be a great keepsake of the trip.
    Love your blogs (both of them)
    Best
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! I haven't ever read her blog, but I just added it to my list. I looked at her door collage, and what a lovely idea! I was planning to print and frame some of my favorite door finds, but putting them together in one print is all the better. I think I'll try that. Hope you're doing well. We need to get together one of these days. It's been so many years, but you come to mind so often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails