Introvert
I just got home from a professional social event, and I'm sapped. Not just from the effort of socializing alone, of course (the day was my usual bear), but it didn't help. Isn't that sapped feeling the sure sign of introversion?
It's an interesting word. It literally means, "to turn inwards," and comes from an indo-european root meaning to turn, bend or wind. One dictionary defines the word to mean "a person who is more concerned with his own thoughts and feelings than with other people or happenings outside him." That's actually not accurate or fair. I'm an introvert (so saith Myer Briggs), and I am concerned with other people's thoughts and feelings, often to a fault. I just find it draining rather than invigorating, that's all.
I remember listening to Simon & Garfunkel's "I Am a Rock" as a teenager (repeatedly) and loving the lyrics (particularly the part about having my books and my poetry to protect me):
A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.
But of course I am not a rock nor an island. And I do feel pain, and I do cry. Don't we all, regardless of whether we turn and bend inwards or outwards or some other direction?
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.
But of course I am not a rock nor an island. And I do feel pain, and I do cry. Don't we all, regardless of whether we turn and bend inwards or outwards or some other direction?

No comments:
Post a Comment