"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Monday, March 8, 2010

To [Not] Do List


The comments to one of my last posts have me thinking about "to do" lists, "to not do" lists, and the importance of perspective in the midst of it all.  I am a list maker.  I record reminders of things I must do on tattered scraps of paper slipped into the pockets of whatever I am wearing, tucked into my bag, sticky-tabbed to surfaces, captured in emails to myself, and wherever else I can think to make my lists.

But I must say I have never thought to make a list of the things not to do.  Even if we don't list them, we all do make choices every day about what we will do and won't do.  What we DON'T do makes room for what we DO.  Here are a few entries from today's unwritten "to not do" list:

To NOT Do:
1.  Make anything elaborate for dinner (jump on the trampoline with the kids instead)
2.  Sleep for an extra 30 minutes in the morning (get out of bed and go running instead)
3.  Sign up to volunteer at my child's school (accept that I can't be everything to everyone)

We all have our lists, and we all have our tradeoffs.  There's the good, there's the better, and there's the best ways to spend our limited time, and it's surely different from person to person and at different times in the life of any one person.   What's on your "to NOT do" list?   

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. Good list. Mine would include:

    5. Get angry

    One movie quote I actually remember (I don't remember much of anything verbatim), 'The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.' Maybe that's why old people tend to get upset less often: they know they're just retired folks who just want some peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good quote, and I think it's true. I also think you just get worn down with time (at least that's true for me) and decide most things aren't worth getting upset over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails