Have you ever thought about what your gravestone might say about you? I like what Winston Churchill had engraved on his:
I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
I've often thought/joked that mine would say something like:
Here lies a woman who multi-tasked herself to death.
Did a dozen things at once and ran out of breath.
Last night for example, I had to catch my breathe as I realized that I was responding to a work email, making dinner, doing the dishes, bouncing a toddler on my hip and acting as referee and mediator of the dispute between my other two children in the other room -- all at the same time.
An hour later, I was rushing down the stairs with a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner and a toilet scrubber, three small trash cans, a dirty diaper and two sippy cups overflowing from my arms. My husband simply commented: "I thought you were giving the kids baths." "Oh, I am," was all I responded. I was in fact bathing three children (one in one shower, the other in another shower, and the third already out of the tub), but I was also cleaning toilets and tubs, polishing faucets, sinks and mirrors, putting away laundry, emptying trash cans, revising a legal brief, and too many other mundane things to list. This is my life. Welcome. You wouldn't want it.
My husband actually doesn't recognize multi-tasking as a talent. He thinks it shows lack of focus and lack of care. He may be right (at least about the focus part). But I will say that if there were an Olympic multi-tasking event, I might just have a chance at glory.


The question is: do you feel stressed out in the middle of all that, or is that situation so common that it's like chewing gum and walking at the same time?
ReplyDeleteI hope at least when you take your, what, 3 hour nightly rest, you can at least drop everything then, and sleep well...yes?
I think you're right -- that is the question. Thankfully, I really don't feel all that stressed out for the most part, at least by the parenting responsibilities. Probably has something to do with growing up in such a big family. It's my job that gets to me some days. And thankfully, I'm a champion sleeper -- I don't get as much as I'd like, but I'm asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. I shouldn't complain about my life in any way, shape or form. Life is good, and I'm glad to have the energy to juggle it. Thanks for reading and commenting, Craig!
ReplyDeleteI unfortunately can only do a very small number of things at the same time. I have been listening to The Help the past two days. And I am trying to make time to clean because that is something I can do while I listen and I don't want to stop listening.
ReplyDeleteI read something recently where the author said that she feels like the secret to the person who accomplishes amazing things is in what they don't do. She went on to compose a list of things she has cut from her life in the effort to save time for the important things. I'm still trying to figure out my don't do list, so far I just have a "do, but don't do too well list!" Is there anything that you consciously don't do to make time for more important things?
I very much like the idea of a don't do list, and I'm going to think about what should be on mine. I don't do a very good job of saying no to things that shouldn't be taking my time.
ReplyDelete