"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday's Metaphor -- The Hunt

"I Don't Like the Sound of This" ,
Michéle Brummer Everett
I have a metaphor wall at home.  (Are you surprised?  I didn't think so.)  On this wall hang various paintings, prints, and drawings that have some metaphorical meaning for me.  Sometimes I will stand, staring at this wall to brace myself against the circumstances of the day. 

Here is one item from my metaphor wall.  It depicts a hunter holding a leaf in hand, with a bear on his back.  The print is captioned:  "I Don't Like the Sound of This."  Here's the artist's description:  "A mighty hunter and his favourite bear friend come across a suspicious leaf in the forest. Whatever he's saying, our trusty bear is NOT buying it!"

Now here's the beautiful thing about art.  It can mean whatever I want it to mean.  For me, I look at this print and am reminded that the thing I'm hunting for may already be on my back.  Or some days, I take it to mean that transition (the new leaf) can be a scary/suspicious thing, even to a bear and a mighty hunter.  Both metaphors apply in my life.  Yours too?

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails