With this on my mind, I walked into the art room and discovered that the class would be learning about a Kandinsky painting. Wassily Kandinsky (1866-1944) is actually one of my favorite artists. I just like the look of his paintings. (I remember first being drawn to him when I stumbled upon a certain room at the Art Institute of Chicago many, many years ago that was displaying several of his paintings.) But I also really like him because he was a lawyer in Russia and used painting as a stress reliever. I am also a lawyer, am of Russian descent, and use art as a stress reliever.
I couldn't help but take this as something of a sign.
I'm currently reading/listening to a book that examines (among many other things) the idea of a person's self split into two -- through a traumatic event or other life experiences. In truth, none of us is just one person. We each have many faceted aspects that congolmerate to form the whole we call "self." That is certainly true for me. (You can't help but know this about me if you read this blog. Vocation/avocation. Two roads diverging. Dare to eat a peach?)
For now, I get my fix by carving out (a lot of) time (1) to read books that have nothing to do with my profession and (2) to make (a lot of) art with my kids. Abandoning all reason to take up residence as the permanent "art helper" at the elementary school is tempting on a certain level (I'm not trying to brag or anything, but the art teacher DID say I can come help every day if I want . . . .). But I somehow don't think that's the solution. I'll just have to settle for cameo art helper appearances for now.


No comments:
Post a Comment