"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Harried

I was up by dawn and spent the day targeted by seemingly everyone I came in contact with.  So the word that comes to mind today, I'm sorry to say, is harried.  I'm sorry to say it, because a harried self is not a best self.  My kids can attest.


Harried
Harried means troubled persistently, especially by petty annoyances.  It means preoccupied, rushed, panicked, overly busy, annoyed, flustered, distressed, bothered.  And I was all of those things today as I tried to satisfy the demands flying at me like arrows on a battlefield.  The verb "harry" actually comes from an Indo European root (koro-) that means war.  To harry means to disturb or distress by or as if by repeated attacks.  To raid, as in war; sack or pillage.  To make a pillaging or destructive raid on a place (or a person?).  

What makes you feel harried?  For me, it's trying to do too much at one time and having everyone and everything demanding that I do it NOW.  Today was a confluence of work and child demands of epic proportions.  It was the kind of day when "MOM" becomes a bad word, and you wish you could go back to 1993 before anyone could email you or call you on a cell phone.  

What makes you feel better?  For me, it's usually the calm after the storm, when the raging winds subside and I take a breath and look around at the carnage.  When, at least for a moment, everyone's demands have been met.  After dealing with the last work emergency of the day and resurfacing downstairs, my little boy greeted me with "Daddy say 'leave momma alone!'"  And then a hug from that little boy, accompanied by a firm pat on the back and the dear words:  "You a good boy, mommy.  Good boy."          

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough day. I hope today is much better. :) what precious sentiments from baby M. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails