"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Amazon

It really is true that you can buy just about anything on Amazon.com.  Just ask the UPS driver who is constantly delivering to my house.  So, with dollars flowing (like a river) from my account to Amazon.com, I'm thinking about that word.  

Amazon
In Greek mythology, the Amazons were a nation of Iranian women warriors said to have lived in Scythia (which really could be anywhere in the huge area of present-day Central Asia, Russia and Ukraine).  I've heard before that the word Amazon comes from the Greek a-mazos, meaning "without a breast," because these women warriors supposedly cut off their right breasts to improve their bow and arrow skills.  I find that hard to believe, but what do I know.  In any event, it's just etymological legend.  Amazon is a Greek form of the Iranian word ha-mazan, meaning "fighting together."  

I had always assumed that the Amazons were a tribe of women who lived and fought in the Amazon Jungle of South America.  There's a connection, but those tribal women were actually named after the ancient Iranian women warriors in Greek legends.  The name Amazon (as in Amazon Jungle) comes from a war led by a Spanish explorer named Francisco de Orellana against indigenous tribes in South America, whose women reportedly fought alongside the men.  I was amused to learn, however, that some historians think that Orellana could have been confusing tribal men wearing "grass skirts" for women.  

In a more general sense, amazon means "a tall, aggressive, strong-willed woman."  Hey, I resemble that definition (at least sometimes)!

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails