Today's word is inspired by my life. Well actually, pretty much every word I ever choose is inspired by my life, but this is a word currently near and dear to my heart.
Sabbatical
The word "sabbatical" means "of or appropriate to the Sabbath; pertaining to a sabbatical year; bringing a period of rest; any extended period of leave from one's customary work." Another dictionary defines it as "an extended period of leave, once every seven years and often one year long, taken by an employee in order to carry out projects not otherwise associated with the employee's job."
"Sabbatical year" means "a year, usually every seventh, of release from normal duties." To the Jews it was a yearlong period once every seven years, during which all agricultural labors are suspended. (See Leviticus 25.) The idea was that the field would produce a better crop if given a chance to rest.
"Sabbath" is the seventh day of the week, set aside as a day of rest.
So, after 13 long years of hard work as a lawyer, I have finally qualified for a three-month sabbatical. Never mind that the fact that it took 13 years and will last only 3 months flies in the face of the meaning of the word sabbatical. I was scheduled to be on sabbatical from May through July 2010, but then it crept to June through August, and now (alas), this period of rest will last only 21 days, because I can't swing a 3 month rest right now.
But I will make those 21 days count as best I can. I will suspend my normal labors and take leave from my customary work. I will carry out projects not associated with my job. We leave for Europe (with three young kids in tow) on Tuesday morning. If you're interested, you can read about our trip preparation and (I hope, international internet connections allowing) some of our adventures in the Mediterranean, here.
For now, here's a quote from the ancient poet Ovid that I just love:
"Take a rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop."


does that 21 days include the family reunion!?? I hope you're still coming!
ReplyDelete