| I grow old … I grow old … | |
| I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. | |
| Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach? | |
| I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. |
I often referred (lovingly) to my late cat as "Prufrock." He would meow and meow until I opened the sliding glass door to the back porch. Then, with the wide world at his paws, he would tentatively stick his head out to sniff outside, with the rest of his body safely in the house. He would do the hokey-pokey, putting one foot out, then pulling the foot back in. Sometimes, he would eventually put his whole self out, except keep his tail in so I couldn't close the door. If I waited long enough, sometimes he would finally step outside into the night air, and I would quickly close the door to keep the bugs out. Within seconds, that silly cat would be standing against the door, whole furry body pressed with outstretched limbs and open, pink mouth against the glass -- begging to get back in.
"Okay, Prufrock. Come back in. No peaches for you today," I would say.
My Prufrock is gone, and I lost a kindred spirt. I'm not losing my hair (and thus have no need to part it "behind"). I'm not even all that old yet (at least according to me). I don't wear white flannel trousers, and I certainly don't have enough free time to walk on the beach. I don't generally deliberate over my fruit choices.
Oh, but I DO deliberate over life's equivalents. And today, I'm particularly tortured. I've made up my mind and changed it a dozen times.
One way or another, I will either eat the peach or cast it aside by mid-week. And then I will move on. At least that's what I've decided for tonight.
May 12 Post Script: I decided not to eat the peach. (If you're curious, the "peach" (and the "horse" too) was a job offer.)
May 12 Post Script: I decided not to eat the peach. (If you're curious, the "peach" (and the "horse" too) was a job offer.)


I am plagued by indecision. I think the internet has exacerbated the problem too. I can look around forever with the intention of making a better informed decision only to be overwhelmed with the choices!
ReplyDeleteYes, it's the "paradox of choice." I suffer from the same thing, although I make my fair share of regrettable commercial purchases as a result of the internet. Right now, I have a huge and very heavy mirror in my bedroom that cost way too much (and would be way too expensive to attempt to return). Turns out the glass is "antiqued" (which means you really can't use it as a mirror). Wish I had deliberated over that purchase decision a little more! Sure didn't look that way on line or in the catalog.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious about the peach...an offer from a different firm?? How tempting was it?
ReplyDelete