"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday's Word -- Consequences

Years ago when I was in college, a friend told me this little story.  Her 5-year-old sister was whining, complaining, disobeying and being generally difficult (as young children are so often wont to do).  Exasperated, their mother said "If you don't stop it, you're just going to have to live with the consequences!"  The young girl was quiet for a minute or so and then began sobbing.  When the mother was finally able to find out why the child was so very upset, the little girl cried, "I don't want to go live with the consequences!"  Poor girl thought she would be sent to live with another family, named The Consequences! 

Now all these years later, I have three young children of my own who do more than their fair share of whining, complaining and carrying on.  I have moments when I almost wish I could send them to live with the Consequences (or at least go play over there for a few hours to give me a break).  You surely know what the word "consequences" means, but let me dissect it a bit.  Come on, it'll be fun.  

Consequence
The word "consequence" means "the effect, result, or outcome of something occuring earlier."  The word comes from an indo-european root meaning "to follow."  Broken down, it is com- "with" + sequi "to follow" = "to follow with."  As in, "I ate too many robins egg Easter candies, and as a consequence, I feel ill."  Cause and effect. 

Sometimes the consequences are intended, and sometimes they are accidental. 
Sometimes the consequences are foreseeable, and sometimes they blindside you. 
Sometimes the consequences are good, and sometimes they are bad. 
Sometimes the consequences make sense, and sometimes they are incomprehensible.
Sometimes the consequences are immediate, and sometimes they take time.
Sometimes the consequences are temporary, and sometimes they are life-altering. 

But The Consequences always have room at their house if you need to go live there for a while.  Maybe by the time you get back, your children will have stopped fighting!    

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails