I left home at the age of sixteen. My family was away that day at a church Memorial Day picnic that I refused to attend. I packed some food and left a note that simply said: “I’ve gone to the woods to live deliberately.”* (I had been reading Thoreau’s Walden and was enamored then (as I am now) with the idea of “living deliberately.”) It wasn’t difficult to find the woods. I grew up in northeastern Ohio, and the trees were everywhere. The challenge was living deliberately—or living on my own at all for that matter. I did go to the woods, but of course I came back. I think I stayed away for a whole eight hours.
Upon my return, did they kill the fatted calf to celebrate the return of the prodigal daughter? (See, I still insist on misusing this word a bit.) No. Were they wringing their hands with worry? No. I found my note on the counter with my mother’s simple retort: “Don’t be so cryptic.” I had to look “cryptic” up in the dictionary. I clearly wasn’t ready to live on my own. Grown ups don’t have to come home for dinner, and they certainly don’t have to look up words like “cryptic” in the dictionary.
*As Thoreau put it: “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” I know, I was a melodramatic teenager.
So, the word for today is one of my all-time favorites:
If you do something deliberately, you do it on purpose. You consider. You ponder. You ponder some more. You carefully weigh the consequences before you act. If you are deliberate, you are not sudden or rash. Like a jury deliberating to reach a verdict, you consider the evidence and try to do the right thing.
This word describes both my best and worst tendencies. A desire to be more observant of the details in my life rather than living on autopilot, paired with a desire to stop measuring my life in coffee spoons.
But back to Thoreau. A web search for deliberate living mostly pulls up information about people trying to recreate Thoreau's experience at Walden Pond to some extent. These people tend to grow their own food and make their own clothing, and often seem to shun modern conveniences. Don't get me wrong. I respect that lifestyle and ingenuity. But personally, I think I should be able to live deliberately and still shop at Nordstrom (or wherever). Deliberate is not sequestered. Deliberate is not impoverished. Deliberate does not require woods.


This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletewhy did you refuse to go to the picnic? and why did you leave for the woods? when we're 16 everything seems like the end of the world, I guess. it does when we're 6 and 9 too.. ugh the drama of my kids...
ReplyDeleteWho knows? I don't. Just teenage ennui about nothing in particular :)
ReplyDelete