"Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance;
it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is...magnifying what is allotted to us."

~Neal A. Maxwell

Monday, January 18, 2010

Saving, Spending and Acquiring Some Green

I recently decided to fire my house cleaners.  When I told my husband, he laughed. 

One of the neighbor girls was over at our house this past Saturday, playing with my girls.  It was 11 a.m.  I was still in my pajamas.  I was cleaning.  She said (astounded):  "Wow, Miss Jessica, I've never seen you clean before!"  I just smiled/grimaced.  No sense arguing with a child.  At least not with one who isn't related to me. 

Several years ago, we were at a church activity, and the husband of a friend asked me (out of the blue -- who knows why) what kind of vacuum we use.  I said I thought it was a Hoover (or something).  My husband chuckled, corrected me, and made clear that I had no clue about the brand of our vacuum.  Both men laughed heartily, as if a woman who doesn't know vacuum brands is the funniest thing ever. 

I actually don't find any of this funny.  Despite what certain people may think, I do clean -- a lot.  Perhaps I straighten more than I clean, but . . .

I do spend an inordinate amount of time moving things from room to room.
And I do wash dishes until my knuckles bleed. 
And I do fold so much laundry I want to pull my hair out. 
And I do wipe things down and make things shine.
And I do sort and manage the neverending stack of paper that my daughters bring home from school.
And I do mop the kitchen floor every night, because I am surrounded by slobs.
And -- I do use the vacuum. 
Even if I don't pay attention to its make and model.

Why did I fire the cleaners after enjoying the last decade free of toilet scrubbing?  Because as the economy presses, they cut corners.  It's not the fault of the lovely women who actually do the cleaning.  Rather, the problem is that their boss lady (a tough woman from the Czech Republic) is a task master and has taken to coming with them to our house, barking her orders to "clean faster!"  This, while neglecting to even raise a finger to help.  (I know this because I have spies who report.)  That, and the notes she started leaving me with pre-cleaning "requests" that end up demanding hours of my time, as I clean in preparation for the cleaners. 

So, we fired them.  The idea was to save some money.  You know how it is in these economic times.  A budget is the "thing."  But somehow, as I scrubbed toilets and vacuumed room after room (with a Kenmore vacuum -- I think), budget wasn't cutting it. 

I wouldn't recommend this, but I couldn't help myself.  I used the money I would have saved from one cleaning session and bought myself this lovely green handbag:

The way I see it, I saved some green, spent some green and acquired some green.  If you see me with this bag on my arm, picture me toiling away.  Scouring, dusting.  Scrubbing, mopping.  Polishing, wiping.  And if my house looks a tad bit dirtier than it used to, you'll know why.  Just don't ask me about my vacuum.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are doing a great cleaning job. Could I hire you to clean my house? We have a Hoover vacuum.

    By the way, I love the purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Believe me, you don't want my services ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails